Monday, September 22, 2008

St. Andrews Cathedral

One of our traditions when we are in Hawaii is to attend a service at St. Andrews Cathedral in downtown Honolulu. The cathedral boasts the largest pipe organ and the only English cathedral bells in Hawaii. The people are warm and friendly, the music never disappoints, and the beauty of the space is inspiring.

The grounds include this pool and fountain as you approach the main entrance. A look at the Nave and Sanctuary.
From the Belfry 50 steps up, the ropes are pulled and bells ring out, heralding the services each Sunday morning. The final picture shows the bell ringers demonstrating their skill.

3 comments:

Glenn said...

The woman on the left was the "bat in the belfry," while the one on the right was like a gracious host, all smiles. Not shown are two-three other bellringeers who thankfully ignored me. Now and then the leader would yell something like, "Two-Four!" or "Two-Seven!" On the blackboard, such things were explained, but it was Greek to me.

senbei said...

Well, Glenn, I'm not sure whether you meant that I was unfriendly, or "nuts" or what. If it was me running practice that day, it was probably just over-focus on keeping those mysterious numbers straight, and how to get people ringing better. (I can be very gracious when _someone else_ is in charge!) If you meant I was rather geeky, well, that's about right ;-)
"Bat in the Belfry"

N. E. said...

Well, Senbei, I have to apologize for my husband, Glenn. He cannot resist a play on words and was having a little fun. I'm sure he never dreamed you'd find this! I hope you get this follow-up comment. He was a bad boy that day and reached out to touch a rope... you were in charge and you told him in no uncertain terms NOT TO TOUCH THE ROPE. He had fun telling the story with the "Bat" reference. I hope you will forgive him! We will try to look you up next time we visit to make amends :-)